Monday 27 September 2010

Forsaken

It’s been four months and yet it seems like yesterday
That you left me standing at the door
I have searched every corner, every moment
Hoping to see you just once more

How do I erase those long nights
Spent in your embrace looking at the sky
Fearing what tomorrow might take away
Knowing that you wouldn’t just go by

No, you weren’t like the dozen others
Who had nothing to offer but their lies
And yet I was right there, at the door again
How could you walk away despite my cries

I won’t complain of what you took with you
My voice, my ability to love, my soul
I see new hands outstretched to hold me
A beating heart that could make me whole

Yet every night I stand by the door
Waiting to hear your footsteps drawing near
Yet hoping you are warm in your bed, asleep
Totally unaware of what happened to someone you once held dear

2 comments:

  1. the contrasting wishes.. or longings are felt too deep in the poem.. and i can completely identify with that duality of emotion: of wanting to get a glimpse or meet once again and of hoping they have moved on, leading their lives without anything us in them..

    to critic: i can't help but notice that the last line is too long.. was it intentional?

    ReplyDelete